Ohio is honored to welcome the National Conference on Problem Gambling, Cleveland Rocks!, July 20-21 at the Hilton Cleveland Downtown. Each year, the event brings together more than 600 professionals in prevention, education, treatment, research and regulation, as well as members of the recovery community. We encourage you to attend the conference, where you will network with colleagues, support peers, and ensure a strong presence with our county organizations.
Ohio has focused on problem gambling since 2002, but significant funding became available in 2012. Being named the host of this year’s event is a testament to our state’s deep commitment to ending problem gambling. Ohio’s efforts have been widely recognized—in 2016, the Be the 95% campaign received awards for Best Public Awareness Campaign, Best Website, and the People’s Choice Award at the National Council on Problem Gambling Conference, and was recognized again in 2017 for Best Public Awareness Campaign and Best Website.
This year’s convention will feature five tracks: Prevention, Treatment, Recovery, Regulation, and Military. This is the first time military issues have been showcased at the National Conference as a separate track.
Opening this year’s conference is keynote speaker Dr. Jeff Derevensky, who received the Lifetime Award for Research at the 2017 conference. Dr. Derevensky is a Professor of School/Applied Child Psychology at McGill University in Canada and the Co-Director of the International Centre for Youth Gambling Problems and High-Risk Behaviors. He is also the recipient of the 2013 NCRG
Scientific Achievement Award for his contributions to the field of research on youth and adolescent gambling.
Ohio has a strong presence in this year’s agenda. Be sure to check out the following sessions and speakers:
- Heather Chapman, PhD, ICGC-II, BACC – 45 Years: Cleveland Veterans Administration Gambling Treatment Program
- Amanda Burke, PhD – Problem Gambling and the Family: Education in the Foster Care System
- Lori Rugle, PhD, IGCG-II, BACC – The Heart of Responsible Gambling
- Carla Tricarichi, JD; Chip Polston; and Karen Russo – Lottery Industry Developments in Responsible Gambling Initiatives
- Stacey Frohnapfel-Hasson; Jessica Linley, PhD – New Gambling Survey Results…Now What?
- Bruce Jones – Finding and Treating Family Members—and Getting Paid for It!
- Michael Buzzelli – Regional Problem Gambling Coalition: Community Collaboration
- Karen Russo – Lottery Industry Developments in Responsible Gambling Initiatives
- Scott Anderson – Pre-Conference Workshop
- Donna Dickman – Mental Health First Aid – Part I
- Herman “Gus” Diggs, PhD – Concurrent Treatment of Gambling Disorder and PTSD
- Tania Lodge, PhD – Conceptualizing Problematic Gambling Through a Culturally Specific Theory and Treatment Approach; Optimal Theory and Belief System Analysis
- Ashley Hartman – Regional Problem Gambling Coalition: Community Collaboration
Highlighting the conference is a special event Friday, July 20, at 6:30 p.m. at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
. This event is included with the main conference and Friday registration.
Please visit the NCPG website
for registration information. Ohio members of the Problem Gambling Network of Ohio/NCPG can save $100 off the cost of conference registration, PLUS an additional $150 scholarship is available for Responsible Gambling partners.
See you in Cleveland July 20-21.